Veterans Services helps student veterans successfully navigate the Oregon State University structure while accomplishing their education goals and maximizing their VA benefits.
Goal – Student Veteran Outreach:
- OSU Veterans Workgroup members conducted 9 First year and 4 transfer START Sessions providing 65 student veterans with information on VA education benefits and school related information.
- Members of the OSU Veterans Workgroup attended the March 1, 2012 Reintegration Summit in Salem, Oregon.
- Veteran Certifying Officials certified 1,663 Student Veterans in 2011/2012 school year.
- Gus L. Bedwell held all day meet and greet event in the MU-Vets Lounge on May 16, 2012. Twenty veterans and two staff members (one of which was entitled to the Post 9-11 and did not know it) attended the event. Three student veterans signed up for various VA education benefits.
- Creation of the Veterans at Oregon State University Facebook Page in cooperation with Student Veterans Leaders from the ASOSU Veterans Taskforce, VFSA, and OSU Veterans Fraternity.
- Number of student veterans using VA education benefits in 2011-2012 academic year: 1633. (certified a minimum of one time during the duration of the academic year)
- Number of student veterans interviewed by the Veterans Service Advisor in 2011-2012 academic year. 208. (From March 12, 2012 until June 30, 2012)
- Partnered with the Human Services Resource Center, Child and Family Resources, Veterans and Family Student Association, and the Associated Students of Oregon State University Veterans Taskforce Director to put on our first annual Connect Week BBQ. Event was held in the Memorial Union Veterans Lounge. Approximately 100 students with family members participated in the two hour long event.
- Angie, Cathy, and Gus conducted a staff training and START session in September for the Cascades Staff and Students. There were 15 staff members, 8 student veterans, and one outside provider that attend the 1.5 daylong event.
- Creation, implementation, and hiring of the Veteran Services Advisor. Members of the OSU Veterans Workgroup and Veterans Advisory Committee participated in hiring process for the Veterans Services Advisor position. The new Veterans Services Advisor, Gus L. Bedwell started on March 12, 2012.
- Members of the OSU Veterans Workgroup and Advisory Committee worked together to address the DOD – MOU and the President's Executive Order 13067.
- Members of the OSU Veterans Workgroup attended the Oregon National Guard Reintegration Summit in Salem, Oregon on March 1, 2012.
- The OSU Veterans Workgroup commissioned the following subcommittees:
- Non-Resident Tuition Subcommittee for the purpose of making the manual calculation easier for the Financial Aid Office and clearer communication with student veterans.
- Veterans Transition Course Subcommittee for the purpose of creating and implementing a VA approved college course designed to help veterans transition from military culture to the academic setting.
- Creation of the bi-weekly electronic VA and Military Updates for the OSU Workgroup and Advisory Committee.
- Creating of the bi-weekly Veteran Service Advisor Newsletter dealing with topics like VA and Military Updates, Employment Opportunities, and Upcoming events.