Veterans Resources helps student veterans successfully navigate the Oregon State University structure while accomplishing their education goals and maximizing their VA benefits.
Goal – Student Veteran Outreach:
- OSU Veterans Workgroup members conducted 8 First Year and 5 Transfer START Sessions providing 76 student veterans with information on VA education benefits and school related information.
- The VFSA, ASOSU Veterans Taskforce Director, and the Veterans Resources Coordinator partnered together to provide 2 outreach events during Veterans Week 2013; November 12, 2013 Federal and State VA Resource Day in the Veterans Lounge and November 17, 2013 Football Game Honoring Veterans and Service-Members.
Goal - Communication with the OSU Community:
- Development of the Veterans Newsletter for Staff and Students by the Veteran Resources Coordinator. Eventual placement of the newsletter on the OSU Veterans Website.
- Development and implementation of the OSU Facility Advisor FAQ on the OSU Veterans Website.
- Participation in local community Veterans Connections meetings and events.
- The VA Certifying Officials certified 1484 (certified a minimum of one time throughout the duration of the academic year) during the 2012-2013 academic school year. Current 2013 Fall Term enrollment is 950 Student Veterans.
- The Veteran Resources Coordinator made 2039 (774 phone calls, 1120 emails, and 145 in person interviews) contacts with Student Veterans.
- Presentation of the newly created OSU Veterans and Service Member Challenge Coin in honor of their service and work for the veteran community to the following individuals; Major General Jeff Buchanan, Major General Julie Bentz, President Ed Ray, two WWII veterans, and other OSU Alumni Veterans and dignitaries.
- Two Student Veterans were acknowledged for their role on campus as veteran advocates:
- Julie Stewart, Associated Students of Oregon State University (ASOSU) Veteran Task-Force Director, was selected for the 2013 Women's Center Student Award.
- Kyle Hatch, Veteran and Family Student Association (VFSA) Treasurer and Omega Delta Sigma President, was nominated for the 2013 Memorial Union E.C. Allworth Leadership Award.
- One Student Veteran, Maria Ballard, was featured as a Human Interest Story during the 2013 Commencement ceremonies.
- In coordination with the Veterans Workgroups and Advisory Committee, the Veteran Resources Coordinator developed and hosted several Military and Veteran Culture Awareness trainings/presentations:
- October 3, 2012 - Triad Faculty and Staff Meeting
- November 1, 2012 - Oregon Association of Higher Education and Disability Conference
- February 7, 2013 - Oregon Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators
- March 5, 2013 - NASPA Conference, Co-Presented with Student Resources 3 (SR3) team members (HSRC and CFR), "Overlapping Identities: Teamwork to Meet Convergent Student Needs."
- June 4, 2013 - Memorial Union Leadership Inclusive Presentation
- The VFSA, ASOSU Veterans Taskforce Director, and the Veteran Resources Coordinator collaborated with several departments across the university to offer four showings of the "Invisible War" documentary. The April 10, 2013 showing hosted one of the individuals from the documentary, Myla Haider.
- The OSU Veterans Workgroup developed and hosted two training sessions in April to help fulfill Aspiration Number 2 from the 2012 Annual Report, "Work with the workgroup to identify a more productive manner to translate and utilize military education."
- The Veteran Resources Coordinator partnered with a graduate student in the Masters of Public Health, federal and state VA providers, and Healthy Campus Initiatives to present the first annual Staff Veterans Resource Day on April 9, 2013. Thus fulfilling Aspiration Number 3 from the 2012 Annual Report, "Facilitate communication with Staff Connections program participants about the OSU veteran population by putting on a veterans resources fair for staff during winter or spring term of 2013."
- Through cooperation with Enrollment Management Offices, OSU Veterans Workgroup and Advisory Committee, and the university President's office, 115 students receiving Military Tuition Assistance benefits were allowed to continue using Tuition Assistance at OSU due to the signing of the Department of Defense Memorandum of Understanding.
- Approval of the use and wear of the Veteran and U.S. Military Service Recognition Cord for the 2013 and future commencement ceremonies.
- Creation of the Student Health Services Veterans Workgroup Fall of 2012.
- Help veterans with the transition from military culture and environment to Oregon State University by creating a Veterans Transition Course.
- Create and launch the Veterans OSU Blog site replacing the Veterans Newsletter.
- Create and fund a student position within the Veterans Lounge.
- 1484 Student Veterans certified for VA Education Benefits (2011-2012).
- 13 START Sessions conducted by OSU Veterans Workgroup Members.
- 2039 Contacts Made with Student Veterans.
- 35 Veteran/Military Culture Outreaches & Trainings Conducted.