Tell me about fraternities and sororities.

There are 11 sororities, all alcohol-free, and 22 fraternities, including some that are alcohol-free. The Greek houses are a 10-minute walk or less from campus. Women first share a room with a Big Sister, then rotate roommates in subsequent terms; women and men have study and dressing rooms and sleep in large, comfortable sleeping areas. Scholarship, leadership, community service, and social activities abound. Sorority and fraternity chapters often join together for activities such as house dances and beach or ski trips. More information about Fraternity and Sorority Life.

Should my student bring a computer?

The majority of OSU students bring their own personal computer or tablet to campus. All rooms in the residence halls have outlets that can enable students to connect personal computers to the campus computer network. To learn more about softward recommendations students can visit the Computer Help Desk website.

For students who do not bring their own device, the campus has several up-to-date computer labs, containing the latest equipment, software, and network access. There are four general access computer labs and use of the labs is free. Overall, more than 2000 computers are available on campus for student use.

My student wants to get involved on campus, but doesn't know where to start?

Student Involvement is a great place to start. OSU has over 340 clubs and organizations. Encourage your student to visit Student Involvement in MU East (Snell Hall).

My student wants to change his or her meal plan next term?

Residence hall students can change their meal plan during the first two weeks of each term by simply filling out a form at their Service Center. The student may contact University Housing & Dining Services at 541-737-4771 if they have other questions about their meal plan.

My student needs to contact his or her advisor?

If your student is unsure of who to contact encourage them to contact the main office within their academic college. Students can find contact information for each academic college's main office at

My student needs computer help?

Students can contact the OSU Computer Helpdesk at or 541-737-3474.

My student needs a job or would like to find internship opportunities?

Career Services provides job listings for part time jobs, and internships, while your student is attending OSU. They also provide job listings and assistance for when your student is ready to pursue a job after graduating from OSU. Located in the basement of the Kerr Administration Building, in Room 008 (541-737-4085).

My student is ill and I am not there to take care of him or her?

Encourage your student to make an appointment with Student Health Services-Plageman Student Health Center 737-WELL.

I'm worried about my son/daughter?

Sometimes parents don't know where to call when they have concerns about their student. When a situation arises, a good place to start is the Dean of Students Office at 541-737-8748. While the Dean can't reveal certain information because of the FERPA regulations, she can listen and make referrals to the appropriate support services.

How safe is campus?

OSU has the lowest reported crime rate among PAC-12 campuses. One of the top priorities at Oregon State University is the safety of students, faculty, staff, and guests. Safety is a cooperative effort, and individual responsibility for the safety of others and ourselves is emphasized. The primary mission of OSU Public Safety is the protection and safety of persons, property, and buildings on campus. OSU campus crime activity reports are available from OSU Security Services.