How much does it cost to attend OSU?

Tuition costs are based on undergraduate students' residency status. Other expenses vary based on students' personal choices regarding lifestyle, course of study, purchase and resale of books, entertainment, and travel. For recent tuition and fee listings, visit:

How does a student change his/her major?

To change or declare a major or minor, students must complete a Major/Minor Change Form. These forms are available at your student's college/program advising offices, at the Registrar's windows, and on the Web. It is essential for students to keep this information up-to-date.

How can I find out if my student is experiencing difficulties?

The best way is to regularly keep in touch with your student. Ask how he or she is doing. Ask what specifically is going well and what challenges they are experiencing. If you're concerned about your student, feel free to contact his/her academic advisor, Resident Director (RD), Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS), or the Dean of Students. While these offices may not be able to give you specific information about your student, they can provide general information and may do outreach to your student if issues warrent such action. 

How can I access my student's records?

FERPA stands for the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974. This legislation protects the privacy of your student records and regulates how information is utilized. Release of student records at Oregon State University is bound by the federal law (FERPA), the Oregon Revised Statutes, and by the Oregon Administrative Rules. If you would like to work with your students to gain access to their student records, please reading the following Guidelines for the Release of Information.

If you have a question that is not answered here, please feel free to e-mail, the office of New Student Programs & Family Outreach.

Does OSU help students find internships and jobs after graduation?

Career Services offers the On-Campus Recruiting Program, which brings more employers to recruit at OSU than any other school in the state of Oregon. They can also facilitate a search for an internship or cooperative education experience, which allows students to work in a career field of interest while still in school. Career Services can also offer career guidance and planning through individual appointments with advisors.

Does my student have to live on campus? What are the different costs for the housing options?

As of Fall 2013, all first-year, first-term students are required to live on-campus. Research shows that living in a residence hall or cooperative house can help students stay in college and graduate. Specifically, the first year students who live in the residence halls or cooperatives are more likely to have a higher GPA and be retained at OSU at a higher rate than those who live off campus. OSU staff understands that in some instances, some students may need to petition for a qualifying exemption. Exceptions to the live-on requirement will only be considered after a student completes the UHDS housing application.

Upper-division or transfer students have additonal living options to those described above. On campus, Halsell Hall, is which is not available to first-year students and allows for gender inclusive/apartment-style assignments. Off campus options include the privately-managed hall called The Gem and local apartments and houses.

The residence halls with meals range from $6,500 (double room, smallest meal plan)-$8,874 (double room, largest meal plan) per year. The cost of living in a cooperative house is about $4,350 per year.

For more information about residence halls, dining, and cooperatives contact University Housing and Dining Services. For sororities and fraternities contact the Center for Fraternity and Sorority Life.

Do you recommend that students room with friends?

It is great to have a friend there for support and to share the experiences of college living, but it is important for your student to consider whether or not his/her friend is messy, or has different sleeping or study habits before deciding to share a room. Rooming with someone else also has the advantage of making new friends and gaining different experiences.

Do you recommend students work while going to school? If so, are there jobs available?

If your student is looking for work, many OSU departments and offices have hourly student employment opportunities. These jobs are often great ways for students to earn money, build leadership skills and gain job experience all while staying on-campus. Students can look at available jobs through Career Development Center and have their resume/cover letter/job application reviewed in their office. If your student is on work-study, check with the Financial Aid office about their specific package and what it will mean for their job search. Off-campus jobs can also be found through the Corvallis Gazette-Times, Daily Barometer, and other various classified ads.

Do students call/text/e-mail or visit home often?

This all depends on your student and you and the expectations you both have for frequency of communication. Some students feel the need to visit home a lot and others don't. It is important to be supportive of your students and allow them to gain some independence which often comes with time periods of less communication. It is helpful in avoiding misunderstandings by discussing with your student how often they will call/text/email and/or visit home.

Can students graduate in four years?

It is possible for students to graduate in four years. The time it takes to graduate depends on course load, whether or not a student changes his/her major, and the major program. Most students can graduate in four years if they take an average of 15 credits per term. College advisors help students to keep on track for graduation.