The Center for Fraternity and Sorority Life is committed to the development and growth of the fraternity and sorority community. Development of values-based leadership among members of fraternities and sororities is critical to the sustained success of these organizations. Strong leadership within organizations contributes to an overall successful community and OSU student community at large. Chapters are required to complete specific requirements in order to ensure members are getting the adequate opportunities for growth and development.
Chapters are required to:
1. Each chapter president (or their appointee) will attend the fraternity/sorority leadership retreat during the winter term.
2. Each member will take part in at least one leadership education or student organization membership opportunity offered on campus during the prior calendar year.
3. Each chapter president (or their appointee) will attend chapter president meetings and all CFSL required events for chapter presidents.
4. Appoint one member to attend the annual Emerging Leaders Retreat.
5. Have a meeting with the chapter's designated CFSL staff point of contact at least once per term in the academic year.
Oregon State University will provide the following support:
1. Officer transition resources to assist in the successful transition from outgoing to incoming leadership.
2. Sponsor the annual fraternity/sorority leadership retreat in the winter term.
3. Sponsor the annual Emerging Leaders Retreat in the fall term.
4. Offer additional leadership programs and opportunities, which include sponsorship of fraternity and sorority community leaders to attend the Association of Fraternal Leadership and Values (AFLV) annual leadership conference and other national leadership development opportunities.
Below are opportunities for chapter members to get involved.
Leadership Retreat 2018
In order to create a cohesive community, it is important to gather our leaders, educate them, and support them in their visions for their organizations and the community. It is for this reason, that the CFSL hosts an annual Leadership Retreat wherein all incoming Chapter Presidents and Governing Council Officers participate in a weekend dedicated to the collaboration, growth, and enhancement of the fraternity and sorority community. This year, the CFSL had the wonderful opportunity to host IMPACT - a North-American Interfraternity Conference Program. The IMPACT curriculum emphasizes problem solving, leadership development, values-based decision making, effective communication, and community development. In addition to a weekend of learning, our Council's had a lot of fun getting to know one another!
Resources from the program can be found here. Chapter Leaders interested in discussing the retreat more are encouraged to reach out to your respective Chapter Coach for more details.
LeaderShape Catalyst Emerging Leaders Retreat
As the year continues, the CFSL wants to continue to engage leaders and emerging leaders. For the first time, the CFSL brought LeaderShape Catalyst to campus in order to grow and inspire leaders. LeaderShape Catalyst is a one-day program that is focused on learning to develop your own path, and to become a spark to drive a plan in your life and the groups you're part of.
The Center for Leadership Development is able to provide chapter’s with workshops on varying topics.
Some workshops include: conflict resolution, fundraising, how to facilitate meetings and discussion, officer transitions, and leadership tips and styles. For more information and a complete list of the workshops, visit the Center for Leadership Development’s workshops page: http://sli.oregonstate.edu/cld/resources/workshops.
To book a workshop, fill out the online-workshop request form 2 weeks in advance to your program.