A first year student is defined as a student who enrolls at OSU within one year of their high school graduation, regardless of class standing.
Yes. If you have been attending community college courses while in high school and it is less than one year since you graduated from high school, you are required to live on campus.
No. If you graduated from high school more than one calendar year before the term you are starting classes, you are not required to live-on campus and do not need to claim an exemption. All new OSU students are still encouraged to live on campus, including those looking for upper division or transfer communities.
In this case, the student is not required to live on campus during the summer session, but is required to live on campus that year beginning in the fall for three terms.
All Oregon State University owned and operated residences. See a summary of all on-campus residential spaces.
All first year students at OSU will be required to complete a housing application accessed through their MyUHDS page. After completing the housing application and contract, the FYE Exemption Request application will become available on the student’s self-service page in the same place where they applied for housing.
All communication regarding the status of an exemption request will be sent to the student’s ONID email address. Please ensure that you have set up your ONID email address before filing for an exemption and remember to check your email throughout the process.
If a student doesn’t abide by the live-on policy and a discrepancy exists with the condition of their enrollment and their housing status, they will be referred to the Office of Student Life for review and resolution of the issue. If the case is not resolved, then the student will be referred to the Office of Student Conduct and Community Standards and the student will be subject to sanctions through the student conduct process, if found responsible for violating this policy.
  • University Housing and Dining Services can assist you in answering questions on how to complete an exemption request application, as well as provide additional information on the housing and dining options we offer.
  • If you have any questions regarding the status of your exemption request, please contact the FYE Exemption Committee by email at fyeexemptions@oregonstate.edu.
  • If you have any questions regarding the live-on policy, please contact the Office of Student Life at (541) 737-8748.
  • If a student is granted an exemption prior to the start of the academic year, their contract will be automatically cancelled.
  • If a student would like to live on campus, they will need to contact Housing at housing@oregonstate.edu to reactive their application.
  • If a student is granted an exemption during the year, they must speak to their Live-In Professional Staff Member regarding the process to officially cancel and check out of their room.
First year students are required to live on-campus as part of OSU’s First-Year Experience program; therefore, you will not be allowed to cancel your contract and move off campus. If a student decides to move off campus without an approved exemption by OSU from the live-on requirement, they will be responsible for the appropriate cancellation fees per the UHDS contract as well as potential conduct action with the University for violating a University policy.
Please contact the Office of Admissions and inform them of your cancellation and email housing@oregonstate.edu to cancel your housing.
Students’ financial circumstances will not be a basis for exemption. At this time, there are multiple housing and dining options available for students to request that can best meet their financial circumstances. Living on campus in a student’s first year at OSU will provide the greatest opportunity to succeed in their academic pursuits.
The zip codes that fall within the 30 mile radius of campus include:
  • 97321 – Albany
  • 97322 – Albany
  • 97324 – Alsea
  • 97325 – Aumsville
  • 97326 – Blodgett
  • 97327 – Brownsville
  • 97419 – Cheshire
  • 97330 – Corvallis
  • 97331 – Corvallis
  • 97333 – Corvallis
  • 97338 – Dallas
  • 97343 – Eddyville
  • 97344 – Falls City
  • 97348 – Halsey
  • 97446 – Harrisburg
  • 97351 – Independence
  • 97352 – Jefferson
  • 97448 – Junction City
  • 97355 – Lebanon
  • 97361 – Monmouth
  • 97456 – Monroe
  • 97370 – Philomath
  • 97306 – Salem
  • 97374 – Scio
  • 97377 – Shedd
  • 97386 – Sweet Home
  • 97389 – Tangent
  • 97392 – Turner
Provide name of family member you are going to live with, relationship to you and proof of address by attaching a copy of the mortgage or lease agreement with the individual’s name. (Example: I am going to be living with my sister Susie Smart at 1252 9th street Corvallis OR 97333. Attached is the lease agreement confirming my sister’s residence). Please note that if more than your family member is listed on the mortgage or lease agreements, you will need to provide an explanation of who they are and how they are related to you.
Fraternities and sororities, as well as private cooperative houses, are not owned or operated by Oregon State University. They are private entities operating under their own standards and procedures not in conjunction with the policies of University Housing and Dining Services.
Only students living in a fraternity or sorority that is approved by the OSU Affiliated First-Year Housing Program (AHP) will be allowed to meet this criteria. Students are required to fill out a housing application and an exemption request. Once that is complete, the FYE Exemption Committee will work with the Center of Fraternity and Sorority Life to confirm eligibility of student’s requesting to live in an approved AHP house.. For more information about the Affiliated Housing Program, you can visit The Center for Fraternity and Sorority Life website.
Only students living in a non-profit co-operative house that is approved by the OSU Affiliated First-Year Housing Program (AHP) will be allowed to meet this exception. Students are required to fill out a housing application and an exemption request.
You will need a marriage certificate or a certified copy of a marriage certificate. Or, if you are on an F-1 visa or a J-1 visa, you may submit a copy of your visa paperwork listing your spouse.
You will need a birth certificate or a certified copy of a birth certificate proving your relationship to your child. Or, if you are on an F-1 or J-1 visa, you may submit a copy of your visa paperwork listing your children as your dependents.
Yes, we will need to have a translation if the documents provided are not in English.
Refer back to the housing application for information regarding Disability Access Services (DAS) or visit the UHDS website. Students will need to set up an appointment with DAS to discuss the disability they are filing the exemption for.
OSU supports the diversity of our student population in the residence halls. This includes students with specific religious beliefs and practices. The fact that a student holds a particular or strong religious belief or prefers to live with like-minded individuals will not automatically exempt the student from the freshman residency requirement. OSU is able to accommodate religious practices and beliefs in a variety of ways including worship space; washing stations; and students’ ability to use residence hall meeting rooms for worship sharing, Bible study and other religious support groups. Dietary needs can usually be met through our dining plan options. Students may choose to form study groups, support groups, dining “buddy” table groups based on religious affiliations. If a student identifies a practice required by their religion and the Exemption Review Committee determines that OSU cannot accommodate that practice, an exemption may be granted.