A:  A household is made up of the people you purchase and prepare meals with. For example, if you life in a house with four other people, but each of you buys and cooks your own food, your household size would be one.  If you live with four other people and you all contribute to buying and making food together, your household size would be five.

A: In most cases, people with student visas cannot receive SNAP.  There are some special conditions in which non-citizens can obtain SNAP benefits. You can read more about them here.

A: Students coming from out of state just need to have an Oregon mailing address and be residing in Oregon to apply for benefits. If they plan to leave Oregon at the end of the school year to go back to their home state, they would need to notify DHS and close their file. Students then need to reapply when they come back to Oregon for the next school year.

A: SNAP is not a form of income, it’s non-taxeable. A tax professional can weigh in more, but it's unlikely this would impact anyone's taxes. 

A: No, you will not have to pay more in taxes now and unless they do a major legislative change, you won’t have to pay more later (I think this would be extremely unlikely). To be honest, you’re already paying for SNAP right now when you and your family pay taxes. So, you might as well use it.

Great! You can send us a quick note and we'll get back to you as soon as possible.