What is SNAP? Important things to know!

SNAP is the acronym for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program offered through the Department of Human Services (DHS). The average one-person household receives $194/month in Electronic Benefits Transfer. During the COVID-19 pandemic, a one-person household could receive up to $234 per month in grocery money. In Oregon, EBT is loaded onto the Oregon Trail Card. The Oregon Trail Card acts like a debit card that can be used to purchase food at grocery stores, convenience stores, and farmers markets... Cascadia Market too! Don't go hungry this term schedule a remote appointment with HSRC Staff so we can help you apply.

NEW and updated Oregon SNAP rules for Undergraduate students during the COVID 19 Pandemic:

Many students may be eligible for SNAP without even realizing it - eligibility rules have changed effective 1/16/2021! If you are a student ages 18-49, enrolled at least part time in school, you may qualify for SNAP if you meet the income requirements and also:

  • intend to enter a job/career/paid employment after you graduate OSU. If this is true, you meet income qualifications, and are a domestic student/permanent resident, there are no work requirements. You should be prepared to tell a DHS worker about your career plans/ambitions but other/additional documentation is unlikely to be needed. 

  • Students can also be exempt from the work requirements if they have an Estimated Family Contribution of $0 or if they are "Work study Eligible." 

Graduate Student Eligibility: 

Graduate student eligibility for SNAP can be a little complicated. You should consider working with our Basic Needs Navigator when you apply so that we can help you self-advocate, or interpret some of the complicated eligibility requirements. If you're a domestic student/permanent resident, if you are enrolled at least part time in school, you may qualify for SNAP if you meet the income requirements and also:

  • Work at least 20 hours per week,


  • Take care of a household or family member under the age of six,


  • Take part in a work study program, or are eligible for work study


  • Are taking care of a household member over five but under 12, and do not have child care that enables the individual to attend school and work a minimum of 20hr/ week,


  • Are unable to work due to physical or physiological difficulties,


  • Receive Unemployment Compensation, TANF, WIA, or assistance benefits under Title IV-A of the Social Security Act. (For a full list of additional eligibility criteria, see here.)