Table of Content


Post 9/11 GI Bill [Chapter 33]

To learn more about required qualifications and the benefits provided, please visit the Post 9/11 GI Bill website or call the VA at 1 (888) GI-BILL-1.

Step One: To initiate your benefit or elect to switch to Chapter 33 benefits, you must submit an application to the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)

  • If you are a Servicemember or a Veteran and are needing to apply for your Department of Veteran Affairs(VA) educational benefits you need to go to VETS.GOV to complete your application.
  • If you are

    • A spouse or dependent
    • A survivor of a Veteran
    • A candidate for The National Call to Service program
    • A current education benefit recipient who wants to change schools

    you need to go to VETS.GOV to complete your application.

Step Two: Provide a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility to the OSU Veteran Certifying Officials.

Step Three: Select a major (not UESP) by the time you reach junior standing (90-134 credits earned). The OSU Veteran Certifying Officials will certify your enrollment to the VA.

The tuition and fees benefits are paid directly to the school in an amount not to exceed the maximum in-state tuition and fees at a public Institution of Higher Education. An annual books and supplies stipend of $1,000 is paid proportionately based on enrollment.

A monthly housing allowance based on the Basic Allowance for Housing for an E-5 with dependents at the location of the school. Input the year, zip code of your school location, and an E-5 pay grade into the Department of Defense Basic Allowance for Housing Rate Query in order to obtain an estimate of what this payment might be.

If you are still in the military, you will not receive the housing allowance. Additionally, if you are enrolled exclusively in distance learning you will receive half the national average ($1350.00) for the housing allowance.

If your enrollment has been certified 30 days prior to the start of the term, any benefits paid directly to you should be expected to arrive in the month following the first full month of school. For example, if you start school in the fall, your first benefit should be expected to arrive in November.


Tutorial Assistance

Tutorial assistance is available to help you pay for tutoring necessary to advance your education.

Type of Assistance

This is a supplement to your regular education benefit. Tutorial assistance is available if you are receiving VA educational assistance at the half-time or greater rate and have a deficiency in a subject, making tutoring necessary.

Available Benefit and Eligibility

The monthly rate of tutorial assistance may not exceed the cost of tutoring or $100. The maximum amount payable is $1,200.

There is no entitlement charge for the first $600 under the Montgomery GI Bill. There is no entitlement charge under the Port-9/11 GI Bill or DEA.

How to apply: Complete VA Form 22-1990T and submit to the VA

Back to Top


Yellow Ribbon Program

If you are an undergraduate student seeking your first Bachelor's Degree (post bac does not count) and receiving the Post-9/11 GI Bill at the 100% rate you may be eligible for the Yellow Ribbon Program. Under the Yellow Ribbon program, if your tuition exceeds the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition or fees, (such as attending in a nonresident status) additional funds may be available for your education program without an additional charge to your entitlement. For more information, please visit the United States Department of Veterans Affairs Yellow Ribbon webpage.

To apply to receive the Yellow Ribbon benefit, you will need to email the OSU Veteran Certifying Officials to verify your eligibility. If you are eligible, you will be identified internally and evaluated via the VA Certifying Officials. The funds are posted directly to your student account.

OSU has agreed to award $3,000.00 per academic year for up to 200 students. The VA will provide matching funds of up to $3,000.00 per student. The combination of the award from OSU and the VA matching funds equates to $2000 per term. This program does not apply for summer term, distance or e-campus courses.


Contact Information:

Veterans Certifying Officials

Office of the Registrar
102 Kerr Administration Building
Corvallis, Oregon 97331-2130


Phone Number: (541) 737-2007

Back to Top