Step One: Apply to the United States Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) for your education benefits. The application, VA form 22-5490, is available on VETS.GOV.

Step Two: In approximately 4 weeks the VA will sent you a Certificate of Eligibility in the mail.  Send a copy of the certificate to the OSU Veteran Certifying Officials.

Step Three: Select a major (not UESP) by the time you reach junior standing (90-134 credits earned). The OSU Veteran Certifying Officials will certify your enrollment to the VA.

Monthly benefits are paid directly to you to use at your discretion. The VA mails monthly benefit checks to the address given them on the application form.

If your enrollment has been certified 30 days prior to the start of the term, the first benefit should be expected to arrive in the month following the first full month of school. For example, if you start school in the fall, your first benefit should be expected to arrive in November.