Oregon State University is more than a place to live and learn. It is a place to grow, develop and discover. Living within the residence halls provides the opportunity for our incoming Beavers to begin writing their history, establishing their legacy, and creating long-lasting relationships and memories. We believe in the enriching experience students receive by living on campus. Thus, our first-year incoming students are required to comply with the First-Year Experience Live-on Residency Requirement. With the recognition of this policy, we also understand there are circumstances that may require an exception. These circumstances may include, but are not limited to, a student graduating from high school more than one calendar year before the term they start classes; a student planning to live with immediate family at their address of origin and that address is outside a 30-mile driving radius of the Corvallis campus. We invite you to view the FAQs and utilize the links on the website for more information.

Kevin A. Dougherty, Ed.D.
Senior Associate Vice Provost & Dean of Students

First-Year Experience Exemption Requests for 2024-2025

The University understands that in some instances a student may need to petition for a qualifying exemption from the First-Year Experience Live-on requirement. Exceptions to the FYE Live-on Residency requirement will only be considered after a student completes the Live-on Residency Exemption Form. FYE Exemption requests are currently being accepted for the 2024-2025 Academic Year.

First-Year Students Entering OSU Fall 2024

OSU is now accepting FYE Live-on Residency Exemption Request Forms for Fall Term 2024. For specific questions about the FYE Exemption process, please reach out via email to [email protected] or call (541) 737-3656. 

FYE Live-On Residency Requirement
Support and Information

On-Campus Housing

We are excited to welcome you to Beaver Nation for academic year 2024-2025. We encourage you to take a moment to explore the numerous exciting living and learning communities offered by University Housing & Dining Services (UHDS), as you consider living options for your first year.

Live-On Support Assistant

The FYE Live-On Support Assistant will assist you with any questions you have about the FYE live-on residency exemption process.

Disability Access Services (DAS)

An exemption request related to a disability are made through DAS. You will need to complete a Disability Access Request with DAS.