What is SNAP? Important things to know!

SNAP is the acronym for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program offered through the Department of Human Services (DHS). The average one-person household receives $194/month in Electronic Benefits Transfer. During the COVID-19 pandemic, a one-person household could receive up to $234 per month in grocery money. In Oregon, EBT is loaded onto the Oregon Trail Card. The Oregon Trail Card acts like a debit card that can be used to purchase food at grocery stores, convenience stores, and farmers markets... Cascadia Market too! 

BNC assistance

Need help getting started or have questions? Come by the Champinefu Lodge during business hours for in-person application assistance. We also have physical SNAP applications available.

NEW and updated Oregon SNAP rules for Undergraduate students during the COVID 19 Pandemic:

Many students may be eligible for SNAP without even realizing it - eligibility rules have changed effective 1/16/2021! If you are a student ages 18-49, enrolled at least part time in school, you may qualify for SNAP if you meet the income requirements and also:

  • intend to enter a job/career/paid employment after you graduate OSU. If this is true, you meet income qualifications, and are a domestic student/permanent resident, there are no work requirements. You should be prepared to tell a DHS worker about your career plans/ambitions but other/additional documentation is unlikely to be needed. 

  • Students can also be exempt from the work requirements if they have an Estimated Family Contribution of $0 or if they are "Work study Eligible." 

Graduate Student Eligibility: 

Graduate student eligibility for SNAP can be a little complicated. You should consider working with our Basic Needs Navigator when you apply so that we can help you self-advocate, or interpret some of the complicated eligibility requirements. If you're a domestic student/permanent resident, if you are enrolled at least part time in school, you may qualify for SNAP if you meet the income requirements and also:

  • Work at least 20 hours per week,


  • Take care of a household or family member under the age of six,


  • Take part in a work study program, or are eligible for work study


  • Are taking care of a household member over five but under 12, and do not have child care that enables the individual to attend school and work a minimum of 20hr/ week,


  • Are unable to work due to physical or physiological difficulties,


  • Receive Unemployment Compensation, TANF, WIA, or assistance benefits under Title IV-A of the Social Security Act. (For a full list of additional eligibility criteria, see here.)